Ready for a bit of cake baking fun!? Here’s a Cake Recipe which is sure to check all the boxes.
I’m that kind of person who doesn’t like things way too sweet. I usually dilute my juices.. prefer salt and vinegar chips over gummy bears and get a headache after too much super sweet cake. Whats more, I’ve made the personal choice to limit the amount of sugar my daughter intakes as she grows. I’ll let you know how I go with that once we start solids ha ha!!
Here’s a great take on a cake recipe which I recently used for a Cake Smash photography session (make sure you take a look at our 5 Steps to throw an Unforgettable Cake Smash).
- 3/4 Cups Melted Salted Cooking Butter
- 1 1/3 Cups Self-Raising Flour
- 3/4 Cups Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cups Cocoa Powder
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 3 Eggs
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 Over-Ripe (lightly brown) Bananas
- 1/2 Cup of Sour Cream or Greek Yoghurt
- 2 Tbsp Milk, or as needed
Cream Cheese Frosting
75g Unsalted Butter
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 125g full fat cream cheese
- 3-4 Tbsp Milk
- Food Colouring of Choice (optional!)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, (Fan-forced 160°C).
- Line and grease bases of two 20cm cake tins.
- Beat together wet ingredients and mashed banana, set aside. Sift dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl, make a well in the centre and mix in wet ingredients until well combined. Seperate batter between the two tins and bake for 20-25 minutes, until risen and cooked through. Allow to cool.
- For the icing, combine all icing ingredients and beat with an electric mixer until well combined. Additional milk may be added until mixture is soft.
- Build your cake by putting the first layer on your cake stand, spread icing on top and add the second layer over the top. Spread icing around the cake using a cake palette knife (or flat edged utensil) for either a full or semi-nude effect. Decorate to your hearts’s content and serve up your masterpiece!
+ Leave a comment