There are a lot of family photographers out there and unless you are already regularly getting your photographs made, it can be hard to know exactly what you want, and who will deliver those gorgeous photos you’ve been dreaming of. Here are some questions you can ask yourself to make sure you find the best family photographer:
1. Does the photographer shoot the type of sessions you are looking for?
Not every photographer photographs all types of sessions, and you’re going to want someone who is super passionate about the type of session YOU are looking for. So for example, if you are looking for a family photographer and you are scrolling through a website or instagram full of wedding photos or pet photography, you may want to keep looking. Or if you are looking for a maternity photographer, but that photographer shows a lot of corporate work or event photography, they may not make a good match for you. Us photographers show work the work that we are passionate about!
2. Do they have a consistent style that you love?
You’re going to want to find a photographer who shows consistency across their gallery. And of course, that this matches your style. This is important because you will have a really good idea of what will be delivered to you on delivery day. If things are a little higgledy-piggledy then it is hard to know exactly how your photos will turn out. Some of the main things to look out for in terms style includes:
- Colour – Colours are an important ingredient in any photograph. A photographer may tend to use more warm or cool colours, bright or neutral, dark and moody or light and airy.
- Feeling/emotion – What emotion is evoked from their work? Is this in line with how you want to be feeling when looking at your own family photography?
- Traditional or Lifestyle – Traditional may involve full body shots of the whole family smiling and looking at the camera. Lifestyle photography is more about capturing the natural connection between family members. This may look like engaging in a family activity or looking at each other as though the camera is not there. You can read up on what Lifestyle Photography is HERE
- Props – What will the photographer be bringing with them to the session/any set ups they are including. It may be worth clarifying this with them if you have your heart set on something.
- Wardrobe styling – This is a major contributor to what your photos will become when they are delivered at your door. It’s good to see if the fashion element matches your usual style, especially if you will be borrowing from the client closet.
3. Do you get along like a house on fire?
A photographer will create the best photographs of you when you are truly comfortable. Getting along with them is going to play a big factor in that! Make sure you take the time to jump on the phone with them prior to booking to see if you really ‘click.’ The best family photographer for you will instantly put you at ease during your session.
4. How’s your budget?
Like I said, every photographer is different. That includes what they offer in their packages. It’s important to know that a lot of time and work goes into creating your gorgeous photographs and the pricing is going to depend on a number of factors such as the photographer’s experience, the inclusions, client experience, equipment used (e.g. professional or amateur equipment) and the final product being delivered.
I make sure to have a phone call with every person who is looking to have their family photos taken with me, to make sure we are a great match! Get in Touch, and let’s get this show on the road.